Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pregnancy

I am very grateful to be pregnant again and I feel even more blessed to be having twins. However, there is one thing that I just hate about being pregnant:

When you are pregnant, suddenly everyone wants to know how many kids you have.

I hate it. People usually ask it in the form of, "So what number does this pregnancy make?" I get asked questions like that at least 4-5 times a week (and that's a lot for someone who's stuck at home on bedrest). In between doctor's visits and testing at the hospital, everyone is always so curious.

I usually try to avoid completely answering the question. I try to make it simple on everyone. I usually say, "I've had two before this" and then hope they don't ask any more questions. However, they usually do. "Oh, so how old are your two at home?" Ugh, now I'm forced to explain that my first was stillborn at full term and that I just have my one daughter at home who is 3 years old.

I hate the reaction because then there is the awkward silence. Sometimes they'll say, "Oh, I'm sorry, that must've been hard." Yes, of course it was hard!

Being pregnant makes me think of Parker even more than normal. I'm forced to talk about him more. I definitely don't mind talking about him, but I hate that he comes up so casually and so often to random strangers. I cherish my memory of him - it was a very special experience to me. So I hate having to sum the whole situation up in the sentence: "My first was stillborn." I'd prefer to talk for hours about how wonderful and perfect and beautiful he was. I'd love to show pictures and explain how amazing it was to hold him and how I'll get to see him again someday. Rather than just shrug him off as some small trial I went through years ago.

I still miss Parker and think about him every day. I will always think of him everyday. I refuse to leave him out of our family when people ask about our kids. He IS my son and he is sealed to me forever. Why on earth would I leave him out?

2 comments:

The Winwards said...

I think you have to be the best mom in the world. You are such an inspiration to me. Good luck with your twins, I can't wait to see them.

John and Heidi said...

Some gave me you blog and I just wanted you to know it has been a place I turn when I need to be up lifted. I lost my daughter this past Jan a day before her due date. We wanting more and your comments about being asked how many is this has come into my mind a lot since I hate the questions how many kids do you have? I feel the same as you, I want to talk about her and share pictures but you can't and just say she was still born or I sometimes say she past away just before delivery.